Prep Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Yield: 8 pieces
- 2 cups water (480ml)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 8 squares Aburaage (or 4 rectangle)
- 1 cup Dashi (240ml)
- (or liquid from hydrating Shiitake mushrooms, or combinations)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small carrot
- 3 cups Sushi rice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Roll the Aburaage with a rolling pin a couple of times to flatten them. Cut one side of each Aburaage. Carefully open each Aburaage to make a pouch. Boil the prepared Aburaage in hot water for a minute and drain well.
- Place water, soy sauce, and sugar in a pot and boil. Add the Aburaage, cook for 10-15 minutes, and let cool for at least 3 hours (overnight in the fridge).
- Hydrate shiitake mushrooms in water for 30 minutes. You can reserve the liquid to mix with Dashi later if you want.
- Remove stems from Shiitake mushrooms and slice thinly. Cut carrots thinly (1 1/2″ long).
- Boil Dashi with soy sauce and sugar in a pot, add carrots and mushrooms until the liquid is almost gone.
- Mix sushi rice, cooked vegetables, and sesame seeds well. Make 8 small oblong rice balls (there may be leftover rice). Squeeze the Aburaage just a little and stuff rice balls in the pouches.